Wear the Pin and Share our Story

Together we support Fullerton College and Fulllerton College Students. Share your FC story, ask others about theirs and celebrate!

Thursday, August 19, 2010

The Ivelina Petkova Story: How Fullerton College helped her adjust to life in America

My name is Ivelina Petkova and I was born in Bulgaria (Easter European country located on the Black Sea Coast). I lived in Germany for many years before I came to the United States. I won a green card through a lottery. Yes I know it sounds unbelievable, but it's true. There is a green card lottery for many countries, and every year the american government gives 55,000 green cards to people from all over the world. I truly belive that everything happens for a reason and destiny borught me to the United States. I willl never forget my first day here, May 5th, 2007. I came by myself with only two suitcases and I didn't speak any English.
The first days were very hard. I cried a lot. In Germany I was successful with my studies, had a good job, close friends, and my own place to live. In my heart there was something missing and I was sad. I had to start learning English so I could continue on with my life. I started working at a McDonalds. I didn't know what the word "spoon" meant, but a few months later I was taking Drive Thru Orders. My English was getting better, but after six months I decided to register for an ESL (English as a Second Language) class at Fullerton College.
Susan Vincent was and still is my counselor. EOPS (Extended Opportunity Program Services) is an amazing program that has helped me since my first semester at Fullerton College. Arthur Hui and Kathi Johnson were the first teachers who helped me get a good start and motivated me to learn English. After I completed my ESL class, I transferred to Enlish 100 and Amy Dickinson pushed me hard to learn reading and writing. This helped me get a customer service job which helped me develop even better grammar, spelling, and reading skills. Later when I took English 103, Mr. Miguel Powers never separated me from the group, even though I spoke with a European accent. I was treated amazingly by him and my classmates. With these new skills I received a better job at the John Wayne Airport.
Yesterday I started my third and last year at Fullerton College. I am trying to keep my GPA over a 3.6 and I am almost ready to transfer. Unfortunately, with the budget cuts at CSUF I will have to wait. I appreciate Fullerton College Foundation for giving me a $500 scholarship. My major is International Business. My passion is learning about other languages and foreign cultures. I love working with people from all over the world. I hope I will be able to finish my studies on time.
I just would like to tell all the sudents who start at Fullerton College, "Never give up. Believe in yourself and do it. The magic power of positive thinking will help you succeed."

1 comment:

How to share your story

Contact us at info@foundationfc.com to submit your story or to schedule an interview and we will write your story for you!

Search This Blog